Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Aha Moment

By Will Deyamport, III, MSEd

















Photo Credit: realestateforeclosuresinvesting.com

For the past 2 years, I've immersed myself in social media. During which, I've had the opportunity to exchange ideas, resources, network, and even collaborate on a few projects. With one group in particular (K-12 educators), I've developed a close bond with these unappreciated heroes. But, something has been brewing and I've finally accepted it.

As much as I know teaching and learning and/or how to work with young people, I am not a K-12 educator. I had a great run with GEAR UP. But, my time working with young people is over. To acknowledge this scares me because I don't want to loose the community I'm so fond of. However, I can't ignore the signs and the feeling in my gut.

I am invigorated and renewed by digital and social media. I marvel at how each has the power to produce images, conversations, connections, and collaborations that can change the world. The issues or topics I am most passionate about revolve around life and career developments. Whether it is personal branding, which college major to choose, listening to one's inner voice, or how to have a sexually fulfilling life, I am drawn to those topics related to individuals living their best lives. And, it's time I get to the business of living my own.

This is a new and exciting next chapter in my life. I've already connected with Diana Antholis - author, blogger, and career and work/life consultant at Performance Advantage,inc, and many, many other thought-leaders and experts across several fields and disciplines. I am also in the process of building a different community - which I hope to be able to develop the same kind of bond I have with K-12 educators.

I'll let you know how everything goes.

1 comment:

  1. As I youth, I think some of my most influential conversations were the ones I had with the characters I read in books. I had the opportunity to imagine worlds far away from mine.

    In a lot of ways, interacting with others on the web provides a similar service to me today. My growth is accelerated by reading about the things others do. The more we understand how to enrich ourselves by the experience of social, the better we can understand how to bring others, including youth, along with us.

    I doubt you'll be far from where you came.

    ReplyDelete